Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Third Anniversary is now a PPT

May 14th is the third anniversary of when I first met my partner.  Actually the 13th for me because of the 8 hour time difference between Phoenix and the UK.  But, we have agreed upon the the 14th. 

Last night, at a wine tasting with a friend of mine, C, I told him that I am creating a powerpoint to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of meeting Karl.  He looked at me in disbelief, chugged the bit of wine they give you in a tasting:  "What? What happened to paper, or silver, or whatever the hell it is for year three?"

I choked through the next small bit of wine they pour at a tasting (it was a syrah and too much for me), and  had to admit, on the surface, it seems superficial.  But, in reality, the ppt took not hours, but days to create.  Karl and I live 5,000 miles apart and each slide is a collage of each of our visits...21 over the last three years.  I made a slide show with animations and transitions.  It is a work of love from someone who has spent a number of years as a consultant creating these "deliverables".  And, my love is a person who spent a lifetime in film making of various sorts.  Visuals can be more evocative for a memory than merely prose.  But, there is prose included when I wanted to emphasize a particular memory.

McKinsey love making from a distance.

But wait.

What are the "real" anniversary gifts?  According to wikipedia, year 3 is "leather".  Jeezus.  Perhaps in the day this meant something like a saddle, which would have sat well with my Montana and South Dakota great grandmothers, but in modern times, "leather" could veer more towards sub/dom whips ala Shades of Grey, or visiting a gay leather bar depending upon ones proclivities.  I personally would want that new great looking Celine bag with the ends that vee out.  No pun.

On that note, I learned that the gift for year 5 is "wood".  Good God, I want wood on the daily anniversay of when we met not just year 5.  Best of all, if anyone can make it that long, is year 80 - "oak". 

No powerpoint can replace oak.

No comments:

Post a Comment